Like any other wedding vendor, you should be 100% comfortable with your ceremony musician(s) before booking with them.
You can ask as many or as few questions as you need to!
Here is a comprehensive list of 50 questions to ask a potential ceremony music performer:
- What instrument(s) do you play?
- What genre(s) of music do you perform?
- Are you available for our wedding date and location?
- What are your rates?
- How long have you been playing your instrument(s)?
- How long have you been in business as a wedding musician?
- How many weddings have you performed for?
- Have you performed at our venue before?
- Do you have audio or video recordings available?
- Do you have testimonials from previous clients?
- May we contact a previous client to ask about their experience?
- Do you offer a guarantee?
- Can we see a list of song choices?
- Are you able to perform songs that are not on this list? Is there an extra fee for that service?
- How far in advance do we need to request custom songs?
- Will you perform for the ceremony prelude?
- Do you start playing at a set time, or whenever the first guests arrive?
- Can we choose individual prelude songs and the order to play them in?
- Will you keep playing if our ceremony starts late?
- How will we signal you to start the processional?
- How will we signal you to switch between processional songs?
- Can we choose exactly which parts of a song to play for the processional?
- Do you have experience playing for processionals involving small children or pets?
- How will we signal you to start the recessional?
- Can we choose exactly which part of a song to play for the recessional?
- Will you continue playing as our guests exit the ceremony space? For how long?
- How much space do you need?
- Do you need chairs set up? How many/what kind?
- Do your instruments need to be amplified?
- Will you provide the microphones and equipment needed for amplification? If not, how many microphones, mic stands and cables do we need to provide? What kind?
- Is there any other equipment we need to provide for you?
- What is your inclement weather policy for outdoor ceremonies?
- Can your instruments be played outdoors in mild inclement weather, like very light rain?
- Can you play outdoors in mild inclement weather if there is shelter overhead?
- Will there be any changes to your setup or equipment needs if we use our rain location?
- What time will you arrive at our venue?
- Do you have other weddings booked before/after ours on the same day? When/where?
- What is your usual performance attire?
- What is the best way to contact you on the wedding day if needed?
- What happens if there is an emergency and you are not available to perform?
- Do you charge sales tax?
- Do you charge travel fees to our venue location?
- Are there any other additional fees we should be aware of?
- Do you offer a discount for off-season or weekday weddings?
- Do you offer a discount for booking cocktail hour or dinner music on the same date as our ceremony?
- Do you require a deposit to secure our date?
- Until we send our deposit, are we first on the list for our date? Will you contact us before booking another client?
- When is full payment required?
- What is your refund policy?
- What payment methods do you accept?
With these questions answered you will be well-equipped to choose your ceremony musicians!